Friday, January 4, 2013

Got Lumpia?

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in awhile got really busy there for a bit but I'm back now. Figured I'd come back with probably the most anticipated recipe I have. Just a warning...I have never actually measured anything so bare with me. It is so much easier to show someone how to make it but here goes anyway...don't worry it's really pretty simple ;)

Here's what you'll need:

Menlo All-purpose wrappers they come in sheets of 30
You'll probably find them frozen...DO NOT defrost in microwave or warm water you will make them stick. Just be patient and let them thaw in room temp. You could use a different spring roll wrapper but I found these to be the easiest ones to work with; others tend to rip easy.

1lb ground beef
1lb ground chicken breast or turkey breast
6-8pieces of raw shrimp minced -has to be raw the cooked stuff doesn't give enough flavor. Oh and please peel the shrimp ;)
6(good size) cloves of garlic minced -sometimes I cheat and use the minced garlic in a jar(2Tbls)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup minced carrots
1 1/2 tsp Morton's Nature's Seasoning  (thanks amber) If you don't have it a mixture of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder will be just fine.
1 egg for egg wash.

Mix all of the ingredients(minus egg) well and set aside. Also at this point I make a small patty to fry up as a taster to make sure the seasoning is right.

When the Menlo wrappers have thawed cut it in fours. I wouldn't cut each piece in fours that just takes forever. I usually separate the pack in half and cut in fours from there I separate each wrapper. After you've separated the wrappers get a wet paper towel to cover them because they dry quickly and start to break if they dry up. You'll be rolling awhile...120 pieces to be exact ;)
The trick is to get the roll as tight as possible to ensure even cooking when you do fry them up. Take one wrapper and have it as a diamond put about a teaspoon of the meat mixture on one corner.

*these images were borrowed from Burnt Lumpia blog(awesome recipes there too btw) http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/

Seal with egg wash...repeat 119 more times ;)

From here you can package them up to freeze or cook them up.

I typically used a deep fryer especially when I'm making for a crowd but a pan will work. Have about an inch of oil...watch your heat....fry till golden brown...let them cool....then enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment