Monday, November 5, 2012

Meat on a stick!

Tonight in celebration of Jason's excellent 1st trimester report card I let him choose where he wanted to go out for dinner. After 20 minutes of UN-decisiveness he chose for me to make meat on a stick one of his faves. I agreed and thought it'd make for a good blog too.


There are few things that I still remember in the couple years I went to school in the Philippines. One being every kid's birthday at school there was some sort of meat on a stick. Whether it be thin slices of beef, chicken, or even hot dogs(more hot dogs than anything) whichever it was it was always a treat. Parents even put marshmallows on the tip to prevent us from poking our eyes out....example above ^^^
**Don't worry this is not a recipe for sticking sticks into hot dogs**


Start with a pound of skirt steak and cut them into thin strips.

Marinade:

1/2 cup soy sauce
half a lemon's juice
6 cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
1Tbls brown sugar
1tsp ground black pepper
1Tbls olive oil 

Mix ingredients in a bowl and marinade meat. I only had about a half hour to let the meat marinade but its fine since meat was sliced thin. Skewer the meat and you're ready to go oh and SAVE THE MARINADE! I didn't really feel like grilling them outside on the BBQ like I normally do so I just brought out my George Foreman Grill. You really have to be attentive to cooking these either way you decide since they are thin pieces of meat...you don't want to be eating charcoal (which I've done plenty of times!) After your meat skewers are cooked (or if you can multitask) put the rest of the marinade in a sauce pan. Turn the heat on high and add maybe a splash more soy sauce and another table spoon of brown sugar. Use a whisk and mix quick as it thickens. I pour it right on the skewers but you can save it for a dipping sauce. I cut up some green onions to sprinkle on top(obviously...optional). Walla meat on a stick! This is so easy and so good on chicken too! Sometimes I like to get fancy and even add veggies but tonight was about Jason(my anti-veggie boy) serve it with rice and veggies on the side and you've got yourself a full meal. There you have it meat on a stick!









No comments:

Post a Comment